The history of the friars’ community in San Ag, as the University of San Agustin is commonly called in Iloilo, is as old as the school itself. Their fundamental apostolate is the administration of the University of San Agustin, the first university in Western Visayas and the only university of the Augustinian friars in the Asia Pacific region.
From 1904 up to the present, the San Ag Community proceeds with their long history of giving the Filipino students (and foreign ones, as well) a quality Christian and Augustinian education in Deum!
The Augustinian Community of San Jose ministers to two institutions: 1) San Jose Parish and 2) San Jose Catholic School. San Jose Parish was given to the Augustinians in 1868 in exchange for Jaro which was chosen to be the cathedral of the then newly established Diocese (now Archdiocese) of Jaro. San Jose Parish is the focal point of the various religious activities for the grand Dinagyang Festival that honors Señor Santo Niño de Cebu. It likewise houses the venerable image of Nuestra Señora del Santo Rosario which was miraculously recovered in Fort San Pedro in 1616. San Jose Catholic School (SJCS), then again, was founded in 1950 as a parochial school. Its name was later changed to the current one. The Augustinians built numerous parochial churches in the province of Iloilo during the Spanish colonial period. Today, San Jose Community continues the legacy of Augustinian parish priests and school administrators that had nurtured the Filipino spirit across the centuries.
Sambag was accepted as a Residence of the Province during the 8th Ordinary Provincial Chapter that was celebrated from April 16 to 21, 2012 at the Santo Niño Spirituality Center in Tolo-tolo, Consolacion, Cebu. The first Local Superior was Fr. Raul M. Marchan, OSA. The friars go about as chaplain to the Basic Education Department of the University of San Agustin and furthermore administer the San Agustin Chapel. Underneath this chapel is located the residence of the friars.
Colegio San Agustin – Bacolod Community
The Augustinian Community of Bacolod oversees the Colegio San Agustin – Bacolod. The community is as old as the school itself which was established on July 8, 1962. The distinction of Colegio San Agustin – Bacolod radiates from the numerous achievers that originate from its halls. Like a soaring eagle, the institution proved itself to be competitive in scholarly and non-scholastic stints within the province of Negros Occidental and beyond. To cater to the spiritual needs of its growing student population, the school obtained a retreat house situated in the town of Don Salvador Benedicto, Negros Occidental. The retreat house, blessed by the present Provincial on March 15, 2019, is likewise being administered by the Bacolod Community. The retreat house presently bears the name Centro Sant’ Agostino - Benedicto copying the familiar abbreviation of the school’s name CSA – B.
“In order to promote deep communion of mind and heart among the friars in community, we should be mindful that our personal relationships require the same qualities that are needed in all genuine human relationships.”