Augustinian education as fostered by the Province of Sto. Niño de Cebu aims to promote the development of the total person, forming the individual according to principles that are based on the Gospel, made explicit by the Church, and inspired by the teachings of St. Augustine, in the light of values that are fully human, and therefore, Christian. Among these values, foremost is Charity – the love of God and neighbour which nourishes in the person the search for Wisdom and Truth, the desire for Dialogue and Friendship, and the commitment to Communion, Solidarity and Justice.
Persons educated in the Augustinian way freely responding to the demands of their new life in Christ with the intellectual and moral integrity expected of their state of maturity, are enabled to overcome individualism, and be competent in their field of specialization so as to work effectively for the good of the Church and society as a whole. It is thus that they become active participants in the building-up of the City of God, ever generous, dedicated and fully committed to their task.
Consequently, all six Augustinian schools administered by the Province of Sto. Nino de Cebu are viewed as academic centers of faith and communion, where the administration and personnel, teachers and students, with the support of alumni, parents and friends, are bound together by the spirit of fraternity as they realize a common mission and goal “with one mind and heart on the way to God.”
In this manner, the educational apostolate of the Province of Sto. Nino de Cebu, responding to the call of the Second Plenary Council of the Philippines and local Diocesan Synods, and obedient to the Constitutions of the Order of St. Augustine, commits itself to the task of re-evangelization so that all sectors in the academe become vibrant witnesses of Christ to others and to the society at large
001 San Jose de Calasanz St.
5000 Iloilo City
The San Jose Parochial School is attached to the Parish of San Jose. It was opened as an educational apostolate in charity. It catered the children of sugar industry workers when the economic heyday in Iloilo started to decline. Fr. Manuel Diez, OSA opened the charity school in 1902 and it is still operating under the auspices of the Augustinians now renamed as San Jose Catholic School.
The Colegio del Sto. Niño which was established in 1902 by Fr. Jose Lobo, OSA was since under the Basilica friars for its administration. But in 1992, the administration was given to the Provincialate Community. At present Colegio del Sto. Niño opened an extension campus in Greenhills, San Fernando, Cebu in June 2014.
The Augustinians had plans to establish a school in Iloilo as early as 1880’s. The dream was realized in April 21, 1890 during the Definitors’ meeting that schools should be established in Iloilo and in Vigan. However the delay was due at the turn of the century as Philippine revolution in 1898 broke out followed by American occupation in 1899 in Iloilo. The school building being constructed was turned by the colonizers into a garrison. It took another rehabilitation until it was finally opened in July 15, 1904 as a school for boys numbering to 300. Most of them were internos or student-boarders. The first rector of the then Colegio San Agustin de Iloilo was Fr. Bernabe Jimenez, OSA.
The school however suffered the atrocities of World War II when the Japanese ordered its closure. It was however reopened in June 1943 but, again, as the heights of war came to its apex, the school was just one of the many structures bombed save the Urdaneta Hall which was able to withstand amidst destruction. The school was reopened in 1945 during the declaration of independence. School life continued and even proved that the school was able to cope from the loss of war by the succeeding openings of different colleges and departments. This was rewarded in March 1, 1953 with the University status by the Philippine government and dubbed as the first University in Western Visayas. It continued to grow and expand its programs and curriculum let alone the numerous cultural contributions it made to the local heritage of Iloilo.
In 1996, it opened its extension campus in Brgy. Sambag, Jaro, Iloilo City for the High School students and later integrated also the Elementary students renaming the extension campus as the Basic Education Department. Many prominent people excelled from the different sectors of the society have come from its halls. Some of them are Bishop Julio Labayen OCD, DD, Bishop-Emeritus of the Prelature of Infanta; Fr. Romeo Intengan, SJ, former Provincial Superior of the Jesuits, Mr. Edgar Sia II entrepreneur and initiator of Mang Inasal and the world-renowned singer Mr. Jed Madela. In 2004, the University marked its centennial celebration since its foundation in 1904 reliving 100 glorious years of academic excellence and outstanding Christian-Augustinian
Colegio San Agustin-Bacolod arose from the old Casanova School owned by Doña Soledad Locsin. Casanova was turned over to the Augustinian friars on August 9, 1961. On July 8, 1962, less than a year after the official turn over, the friars opened the portal of the Colegio admitting Kindergarten, Elementary and High School students. Its first Rector was Rev. Fr. Jeronimo Alvarez, OSA. On July 19, 1965, the colegio opened its doors to tertiary students by offering Liberal Arts and pioneered some course offerings such as Engineering, Chemistry and Medical Technology in Bacolod City.
The prestige of Colegio San Agustin in Negros Occidental radiates from the many achievers that come from its halls. Like a soaring eagle, the institution proved itself to be competitive in academic and non-academic stints within Negros and beyond. In 2003, the Colegio expanded and constructed a new extension campus in Villa Angela, Bacolod City. The extension campus houses now some courses in HRM and Nursing. As it expands for its academic needs, more so it felt the need to care for the spiritual needs and continuing Christian-Augustinian formation; hence, the school acquired a retreat facility in the mountainous town of Don Salvador Benedicto, Negros Occidental in 2009.
The retreat house now bears the name Centro Sant’ Agostino-Benedicto imitating the familiar abbreviation of the school’s name CSA-B. It caters the spiritual formation and regular retreat and recollection of the students of the Colegio. It is managed by one friar from the school and it is hoped that in the future, it will become an independent house of the Province.
The presence of the Augustinians in Biñan, Laguna is very observable along South Luzon Expressway. The humble beginning becomes now a looming academic and spiritual centrum in the modernizing face in that part of Laguna. It started in 1983 when La Paz Housing and Development Corporation offered a six-hectare lot in Juana Complex with the condition that the friars will establish a school and a church. The successive approvals of the Bishop of San Pablo and the Prior General of the Augustinians in 1984 to establish a canonical presence, the Augustinians then organized the founding of a school. Hence, Colegio San Agustin-Biñan opened on June 17, 1985 for 646 junior kindergarten and three primary grade pupils. Its first Prior and School Director was Fr. Rodolfo Sicio, OSA.
The response of the surrounding residents was positive and it let to complete the elementary grade levels by school year 1986-1987. During the school year 1998-1999, the school offered tertiary courses and hence opening its doors for college students. The parish on the one hand was canonically created on July 29, 1986 under the titular of Sto. Niño de Cebu.
The parish started as a small chapel but on August 17, 1989, the construction of a new church started despite meager finances. Today, the majestic red brick parish with its striking baroque retablo stands noticeable from afar. The parish church is keeping also a faithful replica of the icon of the Sto. Niño de Cebu which was used during the visit of Pope John Paul II in Cebu.
Colegio San Agustin-Mati is the newest school community of the Province. It started with the aim of the friars in cooperation with the University of San Agustin to expand off-shore its educational commitment and Mati was eyed after the Augustinians acquired from Rabat family half of the lot and the family donated the other half. A friary was constructed in 2010 and a new community was established. Fray Efren Objaan, OSA was the first superior of the community.
In June 2013, a three-storey school building rose and the new Colegio San Agustin-Mati opened its portals for kindergarten and nursery pupils. Its first director was Rev. Fr. Victor Gonzaga, OSA.